Thursday, January 6, 2011

Think About It Thursday - The Work of Your Words





This is the beginning of a new year.

If you could purpose to change one thing, what would it be?  Your busy schedule, your exercise routine, the amount of quality time you spend with your kids?  This list could go on and on.

I was reading the other day and came across this quote:
     "All the words I had ever spoken, they are making my children who they are.  What we speak into others, this is what they become." Anne Voskamp

Oh, my.  How true this is.

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.  The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicked is of little value.  The lips of the righteous nourish many, but fools die for lack of judgment.  Proverbs 10:19-21

The book of Proverbs is studded with verses regarding the tongue and how it's misuse can lead to our downfall.

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.  Proverbs 12:18

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.  Proverbs 18:21

God has given us care and charge over our children and the things that we say TO them and ABOUT them shape who they are.  No, it isn't easy, but mothering is my job so I'm going to do it the best that I can.

The challenge...Put a reminder of one of these verses (or another that reminds you of the power of your words) in a visible place where you can be reminded of it daily.

The prayer...Lord, help me to thoughtfully speak life to those around me.  I am so grateful for the job that you've given me as a mother and I pray that the things I say glorify you each and every day.

Think About It...

No comments: