Thursday, January 13, 2011

Think About It Thursday – Where’s your focus?

Tourist on holiday using mobile cell phone
I heard a saying today…”Your focus determines your future”

Wow.  That’s something to take into consideration, especially with all the things that demand our time and energy these days.  We let worry take over and forget that if we seek His kingdom, He takes care of it all (Matthew 6:25-34).

Focus is defined as: a central point, as of attraction, attention or activity.  The things and activities that we spend our time consumed in is what we’re focusing on and that is what will produce fruit in our lives.

The girl in the photo above sees the entire skyline, but she is choosing to only focus in on a certain part to take a picture of.  There’s so much negativity and wrong doings that we hear about day after day, and while it’s fine to take notice of it – it’s not fine to dwell on it and let it affect our everyday lives.

Have you ever heard this saying “Who you will be next year depends upon two things – the books you read and the people you meet”?  Amazingly true, change doesn’t come by sitting around doing nothing.  We have to decide that we’re going to do what it takes to be a different person one year from now.

Proverbs 13:20 – He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

As a teenager in youth group, we were always told ‘You become like who you hang around.’  But I don’t think that only applies to the younger crowd.  Even at my age, I want to surround myself with God-fearing, Bible-reading, Discipline-Administering, Honest-to-Goodness moms that provide me with an example to follow, as well as a friendship.  And I want to provide those friends in return, an example of a Godly wife and mother.  But it’s hard for me to be those things if I don’t take time out to study God’s Word or to worship at His Feet.

There is also a stack of books that I’d like to read sometime in the next five years soon.  As soon as I finish one, I will share about it here.  These are books about self-improvement – spiritually and relationally.

The challenge – to decide to focus on something that will make a positive change for your future…a book to read and that person that you’ve been interested in hanging around more because you think they’re a great example grab them both and get learning from them.

The prayer – God, I humble myself before You and I ask You to train my eyes to see the focus that You have for me.  I thank You that as I seek and worship You, I don’t have to worry because You’ve got a plan for me.

Think About It…

No comments: