Monday, January 12, 2009

What are we going to eat today?

This past weekend we stayed home, out of necessity not choice...like Hosanna told her Aunt Emily, "Our cars are broke, we need a new van." We are experiencing car issues and dealing with those the best we know how. Meanwhile, we haven't gone far, so it gives me plenty of time to spend in the kitchen. I know that having a 'plan' for meals isn't always easy, so I want to share with you a few ideas from our 'menu' this past weekend.

Saturday

Saturday evening for dinner, we enjoyed Crockpot Sausage and Potato Soup. This turned out pretty well and there wasn't a lot of effort involved thanks to the good ole crockpot. I even had time to make some rolls to go along with the soup.

Sunday

Sunday's breakfast was exceptional -
blueberry pancakes, absolutely phenomenal if you ask me. This was a first for me, actually making pancakes from scratch - I was very pleased with the results. Judah enjoyed the leftovers for breakfast this morning, it is funny to hear him say pancakes.

For lunch, we had leftover soup.

Supper included two of our faves - nachos and guacamole. To me, nachos are taco meat and whatever other fixin's you have to pile on tortilla chips.


Guacamole is simple to make, here's what I do:

Peel and dice 2 avocados. Place them in a bowl and mash them. Chop 2 roma tomatoes and as much onion as you like. Add to avocados, then add a clove of finely chopped garlic, a finely chopped jalepeno (seeds removed) and some chopped cilantro. Lastly, add the juice of one lime and salt to taste. Stir everything together and enjoy.
This doesn't last long at our house!


I made dessert -
chocolate chip cookie pie - to celebrate the return of 24, welcome back Jack Bauer!

Monday

While Judah enjoyed his pancakes, Jeremy and I had granola for breakfast. Jeremy likes his with fruit and yogurt and I had mine with milk. Making your own granola is very budget friendly, I made a batch from staple items that I already had - at the store, you would probably pay about $12 or so for the same amount of pre-made granola. It is easy to make and store and the kids like it too.

Lunch was turkey sandwiches and salad.

You can never have enough ways to make chicken, that said, for supper I made a wonderful
garlic chicken that I really love and is quite simple to make. I have never made sweet potato oven fries...until tonight. They were absolutely delicious. I saw Rachael Ray make them on her show the other day and I thought I might give them a try. All you do is cut the sweet potatoes into wedges, toss them with olive oil and salt and bake them on a baking sheet. Roasting them gives them a whole new taste. The chicken and sweet potatoes were accompanied by corn and rolls.


Looking for new ideas on a weekly basis is what I constantly find myself doing. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO EAT TODAY? is always the big question in the mind of a mother. I am over being unprepared as to what to feed my family. I will continue to share ideas that have worked for us to help you prepare yourself to answer that big question.


No comments: